Sunday, January 16, 2011

Be Still My Heart

I had the most wonderful session last week. It was the perfect session for me... an 18 month old boy and his momma, a dog, a parrot and some chickens. I was in heaven!

I met Tisha at her home, a wonderful old house in Sacramento, complete with leaded windows, wood floors, glass doorknobs... the kind of house I would love to live in. Levi was still napping when I arrived and Tisha showed me around. She introduced me to Jackson, an awesome black lab who was chewing on a bone in front of the fireplace. And then to her fish, her new parrot and to her chickens. I could hardly contain myself and I pulled out my camera.

I saw this photo of Levi hanging on the wall and I could hardly stand it any longer... I had to meet the handsome little man. I asked Tisha if I could take some photos of Levi sleeping. I realize it makes me sound like a stalker, but I just love to photograph people when they are sleeping. Tisha opened the door to Levi's room and he was awake already. No sleeping baby shots, but his room was so beautiful, I got a few pictures while Levi was waking up and adjusting to the fact that a stranger (with a camera) was in his house.

The shade of blue on the walls is so serene. And the Raggedy Ann and Andy pictures brought back memories of my childhood. But the most amazing part of this room is the form of Tisha's pregnant body hanging above Levi's crib. I wish that I was able to celebrate the changes that gestation had brought about in my body, as Tisha did... but I felt too fat and gross and uncomfortable to go there. Which is one reason why I admire Tisha so much: she appreciated all that her body was going through in order to bring this beautiful child into the world.

Are you ready to meet this beautiful child? Well wait no longer - I give you Levi:

Snack time with Jackson... a little for me, a little for you

Heading out to feed the chickens

Snack time for Delilah

Levi loves to play with water...

I'm gonna get you momma!
These two are so unbelievably cute together.

Whether it be going for a ride on the vintage car

or taking a spin on the trike

or simply putting on a pair of boots... this mother and son made my heart melt.
I mean, are there any words to describe them?

This has to be one of my favorite photos. Ever.

This guy is so stinkin' cute, he even makes a Jets warm up look good
(sorry, I'm a little bitter from last week's game).

We headed inside to get a few more photos.
Check out Levi's swing. I want one.

No, seriously.
I. want. one.


Turns out the birdie likes to swing, too.

Tisha, thank you so much for inviting me to your home to spend the afternoon with you and Levi. I wish that I could find the words to adequately express just how lovely you and your son are. There is such a sense of calm and peace and love and genuine happiness... simply and honestly beautiful.

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Levi
Happy Birthday to you.

And because I love it so much...





No comments:

Post a Comment