Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Baxter Thagreat

I meant to write this blog months ago. I even included "write Baxter's blog" on my to-do list this past Saturday. But of course, I put it off and I shouldn't have.

Where to begin... where to begin...

I'll start with Bryce, an amazing amazing young man that I have been fortunate enough to know. If my daughters grow up to be anything like him, I will be a proud mama. I wrote a blog about him here if you would like to know a little bit about Bryce and why I think he is so amazing.

Last year, Bryce was moving away to college and wanted a canine companion to take with him. He scoured all the local shelters in search of the perfect dog. After a long day, Bryce finally found Baxter at Sacramento County Animal Care and Regulation and took him home. Bryce asked if I would photograph him and Baxter in San Francisco, which I was thrilled to do. Except that life got crazy (both Bryce's and mine) and we just didn't get around to it.

Baxter became quite ill. About the time that Bryce thought it was time to say goodbye, Baxter rallied. Back to his old, silly self, we decided that we needed to get his portraits done ASAMFP and we headed out to San Francisco. I had contacted the amazing Anna Kuperberg for location recommendations (I attended her fabulous dog photography workshop in SF last year and thought she would be the perfect person to ask). At the top of her list was Bernal Hill - an off-leash dog park with sweeping views of the city. Bryce, Baxter and I hiked our way up the hill and had ourselves a wonderful afternoon. We weren't able to shoot all the way up until sunset (used to the 100 degrees at home, we weren't prepared for the blustery wind on the hill). Here are a few of my favorites from that day:


















As I was checking Facebook on Monday morning, I read the sad news that Baxter's illness had returned. However, this time he wasn't able to rally and Bryce had to say farewell to his buddy Baxter. Bryce, I hope that you don't mind me sharing these with everyone. I love these photos as they celebrate Baxter's life and the bond that you two have. THANK YOU for asking me to take these. I am sorry that Baxter is no longer with you, but I am so very thankful that I am able to give these to you so that you will have a little piece of Baxter forever and always.

Rest in peace, Baxter. 










7 comments:

  1. Baxter is adorable. It looks like he had a great last year of his life with Bryce. So sorry for Bryce's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just made me cry.... Just another wonderful shelter animal that was lucky to have a great owner who obviously loved him very much..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole,
    These photos are wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do not know me but I also live in Sac and came across your blog randomly by what some would call "stalking" someone who I am possibly going to apply to nanny for aka Paytens family. I just needed to check out who these people were, yes I am that neurotic as to who I work for potentially. Just need to scope out who people are before hand, im sure you get it.....?
    Anyways, these pictures of Baxter made me cry. I have a dog I found 9 months ago laying next to me right now, My Pepe. He is one of the baddest dogs around, biting strangers who come with in 5 feet of me. But My Pepe love recently has started to climb into the shower, though he hates water with a passion, when I am crying because of a recent violent assault that took place upon me and he has been my hero. He is the reason I leave my house for his walks. And he is who comforts me and makes me feel safer at night.
    Thank you for sharing these photos. And when I have money one day when Im not a poor college student I want you to take pictures of Pepe and I.

    Elyse Fulton
    heldstrong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nicole, your name was given to me by someone who posted on my Facebook fan page. I was informed you use your beautiful photography talents to help Sac county. I currently do volunteer work for The Grace Foundation and People for Animal Welfare in El Dorado County. I just wanted to post here to tell you first, thank you for the work you do and second, I hope to make contact with you in hopes of getting some ideas on how you use your skills to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, oh my . . . what a wonderful post. I have just met Katie in Fayetteville and she led me to you . . . so glad about that. Bless you for memorializing Baxter. Fleeting -- but infinitely precious. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, oh my. What a lovely post. I've just met Katie in Fayetteville and she told me about your blog. I'm so glad. This is beyond dear -- so fleeting, but infinitely precious. RIP Bax. And thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete