Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Little Belly Love

I don't even know where to begin... I love these 4 people so much, I can't even describe it.

I first met Mel and JT some 14 years ago, when we all started vet school together. During those four years at school, somewhere between biochemistry class and anatomy lab, Mel and JT fell in love and got married. A little over two years ago, they had their first son, Gage. He is the perfect combination of his parents - smart as a whip and cute as hell. He is so awesome, in fact, that I have arranged his marriage to my youngest daughter. Gary and I are still trying to figure out the dowry... we are thinking a few cows may be in order.

In just a few days, Gage's little brudder will make his debut. His arrival is eagerly anticipated by so many... grandmas and grandpa, aunts and uncles, cousins and friends. And most of all, by Mel, JT and Gage. They stopped by a few weeks ago for some belly photos, to remember this wonderful period in their lives. Their last days together as 3, the last time they will have peace, quiet and sleep for the next several months.

Just as cute as they were when they first met

When pregnant with Gage, Mel and JT had maternity shots done. One of their favorites was a close up of Mel and JT's hands on her belly... I tried my best to give them another favorite.

I love this photo for several reasons. Of course, there is the obvious... mom and daddy's hands on Mel's uber cute belly. Then there is JT's watch, which I was initially going to crop out (I wanted to focus on just their hands and Mel's belly). But then I realized that the watch tells the day and the time that this photo was taken... perfect! No need to write it on the back of the photo. Another thing that I love, and this is from the geeky veterinarian in me, is that these hands have saved countless lives as both Mel and JT are veterinary surgeons. To see these hands and fingers at work is truly amazing. I would be jealous if it weren't so totally in awe of what they do.


Seriously Mel, your belly is uh-dor-uh-ble!!!
And yes JT, you and your belly-kissing-self are pretty adorable, too.
P.S. There is no way on this green earth that Gary would have ever kissed
my pregnant belly.

Of course, we had to have plenty of photos with big brudder Gage.


Me loooooooves this one!

A quick thumb-sucking break...

...then on to more belly kissing!

Throughout the session, I would catch Mel looking at her son and she would say "I love him so much". Like right here, when she was watching Gage pick some flowers:



Which of course he gave to mommy. Swoon!

Gage loves a little daddy time, too:

But family time is the BEST!


Photographer Tara Whitney calls these photos "the in between". I have tried to write my own explanation of this photographic phenomenon, but I can't come up with anything better than what Tara has already said: "I love how the heads and limbs are fused together - like souls intertwined. It is is visual proof of the connection that is there but you can never actually see with your own eyes. No matter how much you want to, no matter how strongly you feel it there".
The connection between the members of this family is undeniable.

Although the littlest member of this family is not actually here yet, the connection to him is apparent.


More family fun time!


And a few precious moments.

Gageroo, solo:


Where's Gage?


I am so excited to be photographing the arrival of the newest member of this wonderfully amazing family. He is due in 9 days... but that could mean any time. And as soon as baby brudder hits the ground, I'll be showing you his very first photos.

Enjoy your last your few days together as a family of three. Soon, your world will be turned upside down... and it will be amazing.

Much love to you, my dear friends.

P.S. Happy Birthday Mel!!!



1 comment:

  1. Pass the tissue please. Nikkivet, You managed to Kick ass, once again. You, too, are a genious! Thanks for telling the story of our family.
    Love you, Skank Woman.

    Valli V

    ReplyDelete